Friday, August 17, 2012

Easy Tiramisu

This is a fantastic recipe for Tiramisu! My own personal recipe. :)
Ingredients:
3 large eggs  (you will be using the yolks and the whites)
1 cup coffee ( I used my favorite brand-starbucks house blend )
1/2 cup sugar
1 tbsp. puerto rican rum
8 oz. Mascarpone
Cocoa
Shortbread Cookies



















Directions:
1- Combine 3 eggs yolks, 1 tbsp. coffee, sugar and rum into large bowl.  Beat 2 - 3 mins.  Add mascarpone and beat 3 - 5 mins until smooth.
2- In another bowl, combine the egg whites and about a tablespoon of sugar.  Beat until stiff peaks form.  Gently fold into Mascarpone mixture.
3- Dip each shortbread cookie into the remaining coffee (I put my coffee into a cup so it would be easier to dunk) and put them in several small dishes or one larger one. You can make different layers with this also.  I made it where the cookies formed a crust since I didn't have a lot of cookies. I mashed them up with a fork and lined the bottom of some ceramic bowls. Add the mascarpone mixture and then sprinkle cocoa over the top.  Refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving.  The longer the better.  It is fantastic cold.
You can fancy it up by adding chocolate shavings to the top if you wish.






Side notes:
I use shortbread cookies instead or Ladyfingers because 1) I couldn't find them at my local superstore - improvise- and 2) they are really good and sweet.

I only use 1 tbsp. rum because I do not like to taste the alcohol. You can also substitute cognac or brandy instead. I just had the same rum on hand from making a rum cake a couple of years ago.  I guess alcohol doesn't go bad, right?? It tasted ok.  I will let you know it I get sick tomorrow. :)

Also, Tiramisu has raw eggs in it just in case you didn't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment